Monday, September 30, 2013
Using the F3 Key to Search Terms of Service
Often, as one of three Tech Coaches in the Georgetown County School District, teachers will ask us via email, about new web tools they've found. What they want to know is, “Hey, I've found this new site, and I think it looks pretty good. I want to use it with my students. What do you think?"
Here are some things to keep in mind when you do find new Web Tools:
1. Is this just a cool tool that can go with an activity...or was the lesson planned, and now you are
looking for a tool to use to enhance the content?
2. Is the site FREE?
3. Is it sustainable? Meaning, is this a site you can use year after year, and even bank items you've
created for future use...or is it a trial period site tool that you have limited usage to without being
required to upgrade to the "Premium" account.
4. Do the Terms of Service meet the requirements for use by students above or below the age of 13?
5. Does using the Web Tool require parental consent?
6. Does the site, and more importantly the use of it, abide by the stipulations of CIPA, COPPA, and
FERPA Laws for Internet safety of minors?
Watch the video below. I hope this has been helpful.